Go
All Results Based on Water Viscosity.

History

Quality. Service. Longevity.

Oberdorfer™ Pumps Corporation has a rich history of quality, ingenuity and service. The pump department of Oberdorfer™ Foundries was formed in 1890 when Moses L. Oberdorfer™ began manufacturing bronze pumps in a small factory on East Water Street in Syracuse, NY. Oberdorfer™ pumps were used to provide oil for lubrication of the engine cylinder walls for the early automobile, aircraft and motorboat industries.

In 1922, Harry Digney became General Superintendent of Oberdorfer™. The Digney family eventually bought Oberdorfer™ Pumps Corporation.

Oberdorfer™ began manufacturing pumps as a result of the company's interest in the automotive industry. For approximately 60 years, the pump line evolved as an exclusively bronze product line with emphasis on rotary gear pumps up to 150gpm at 100psi. Oberdorfer™ became an innovator in pump manufacturing and design of quality products for the early automotive industry, and followed that tradition into the aircraft industry. The first commercial air-cooled aircraft engines were equipped with bronze gear pumps made by Oberdorfer™. The four (4) in-line cylinders were lubricated by a single pump driven off the crankshaft. An Oberdorfer™ pump mounted on a 1914 Kemp aircraft engine is currently on display at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

The aircraft industry during World War I continued to be an important market for pumps. Oberdorfer™ produced pumps for the ground transfer of aviation fuel and for the lubrication of machine tools used to repair and build our nation's warplanes. Today, Oberdorfer™ still continues to produce many pumps for aircraft service and safety. While the basic design hasn’t changed, these pumps have been upgraded over time to accept new materials, gear designs, and sealing devices.

During the war years, Oberdorfer™ recognized the need to develop and manufacture pumps for the marine industry. This expanded Oberdorfer™’s product line to include centrifugal pumps and bilge pumps, which were submersible and automatic. By the 1930's Oberdorfer™ became the first manufacturer to supply these new products to the marine industry. World War II brought a halt to the private boat market, and Oberdorfer™ directed its attention to the development of pumps for industrial and defense use.

After World War II, the industrial and agricultural markets demanded pumps made from advanced materials. To meet this need, Oberdorfer™'s newest branded line, CHEMSTEEL™, was developed. The CHEMSTEEL™ pumps line has evolved into three separate groups. They include metallic, nonmetallic and mag-drive pumps which serve the chemical processing industries. These versatile pumps are designed for corrosive, volatile and thin non-lubricating fluids, preserving the integrity of the chemical while preventing environmental hazards.

Oberdorfer™ has always produced quality pumps, and has always been an innovator in manufacturing and design. We have weathered the changes our world has seen and have been at the forefront of advancing technology. As our world grows, so does Oberdorfer™. The evolution of the pump continues, and Oberdorfer™ will continue to be a leader in pump innovation.